Mountain_Man Show full post »
Mountain_Man
I was in denial last week.  He was coughing again so i gave him prednisone that week and he woke up last saturday with weakness on his left side.  The last time he had prednisone, he got shaky so i didn't think much of it :(  That's the night he had his first stroke/seizure and we rushed him to the ER at midnight.  By then, he recovered and the vet said it might have been the result of an infection so he gave him antibiotics.  The next morning, he rear leg was swollen from fluid but the vet said to give it a day or two....otherwise he "looked" fine and was acting better...wagging his tail even.  The next day, he was dreaming really hard every time he fell asleep.  Really twitching and sleep barking...then at around 5pm he had another seizure and died on my lap.  I really don't think i'll ever get over that moment, we were sitting there watching hockey like we've done for the last 11 years and then he was dead.  It broke my heart and still does, I've never felt so powerless in my life.
Quote 0 0
Wilkie
He looks a feisy little chap.

Look after yourself.

Wilkie
Quote 0 0
Mountain_Man
I still remember the day we picked him up in 2003.  We went to the breeder's house and she opened the back door and 10 puppies ran out of the door, jumping all over the place.  One of them noticed us and slowly wandered over and put his head on my leg as I petted him.  Still chokes me up thinking about how he picked us and not vice versa.  And for 11 years he always would do the same thing first thing in the morning, slowly wander over to me, sigh, and put his head on my leg as I petted him.  
Quote 0 0
loft2111

They always pick us!  My Little Man was on Phelobarbital and Prednisone, it took such a toll on his 11 lbs body.  It was his time to go, the flip side would have been for you to make the decision to euthanize him as we did with our LM, both circumstances carry with them the guilt, what if's and many regrets.  There is not right way to say goodbye, we do the best we can for them and love them, that's all they every want.

Quote 0 0
graciesmommy
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I had a jack russell that I had to put down yesterday, and I understand how hard this is. She had a stroke last friday night, which was the most horrific thing I have ever witnessed. It is so difficult when they are fine one minute and gone the next. I hope that you are able to cope with your loss. I know you loved that little guy.
Gracies Mom
Quote 0 0
Leahbeahis
Aww, Mountain_Man he is such a cutie! What a gorgeous place for him to live in, that lucky dog! He must've felt like a king with all that space and beautiful outdoors. I'm so sorry you had to lose him the way you did. I agree, the pine cone was a sure sign. He is with you everyday. He may not be able to communicate that very clearly, but he's there. I loved watching the video of your little buddy, please post more if you feel up to it. Write as often as you please, we are here for you. I wish you all peace tonight.
~ Leah
Quote 0 0