phalaris14
Well baby girl today marks week number 24 since you have been gone.Slowly but surely ,the numbness at the beginning, is slowly diminishing. I truly miss you so much. Not a day passes that I don't think of you dozens of time. I hope you are doing fine and chasing all those squirrels at the bridge.You will never know what you have meant to me. I love you so very much.I know it is probably going to be a while before we meet again..... but I cannot wait to the day I finally get to rub my face in that wondrous Basset fur. We will go one walks like we used to and snuggle at the end of the day... talking about all the crazy things we did that day. Lattie-da, I love you very much.
 Ok... now time to confess that I have adopted another dog. It took a long while.. but I have realized that I am the type of person that will always have a dog. I adopted Bull from the local Humane Society. I was told he was part Cattle Dog and Chocolate Lab. Turns out there is Pit Bull in him. Big difference in going from a laid back, loving little Basset to a very energetic two year old revved up part Pit Bull Male. He had spent six months in the pound without being adopted. At first, I felt real guilty about adopting him. I felt that I was disrespecting the memory of Lady... I know she would have hated him. Slowly but  surely this monstrosity of an animal is working his way into my heart. He will never replace what Lady means to me and was never meant to be her replacement. Actually, he even helps me to get through the rough patches when I break down and sob remembering my loss. So for all those out there vowing to never get another pet again; give it time. Remember, there are so many strays out there begging for love. God Bless everyone in these sad times.

[image] 

[image]
Quote 0 0
camunki
what a beautiful pic of you and your new rescue dog!! and I am sure Lady is very happy for what you are doing...saving a life!!! and no, your new boy will never ever ever replace lady, but just like myself, I too will always have dogs for the rest of my life. I liked the beginning of your post, and how you look forward again to meeting up with your Lady.

Shhhh, i have a confession to make too, i adopted, a rescue/stray pup on death row in TX and she is.......a Pit Bull puppy, so sweet, so gentle so loving. I only did this cuz i lost 2 dogs last year in 2015 and my house felt so empty and I adopted a lil' bit less than 3 months after my Munki passed on Dec 3rd, also my sweet Daizy at only 9 y/o passed too on 1/2/15 so losing 2 pets in one year took a huge toll to my heart. I still have my Jemma, but Jemma was lonely and wondering where here sisters were, so I decided to rescue, and thats what I did. I was very cold feet/doubtful at first, but then I think of my pets now in heaven, and they would want me to rescue, save and give love to another dog. And, too, my new rescue she helps me so much and keeps my heart growing bigger, even though i have meltdowns still about losing my 2 dogs last year, when I see my new rescue, my heart opens up with love and brings a smile to my face. So i can agree with you....anyone every thinking of rescuing or adopting a new pet, you will know when your heart is ready and it does bring so much love into your heart, never replacing the pet you have spend so many years with and loved.

Cam

Quote 0 0
phalaris14
 Thank you for responding. As for Lady being happy about my choice... I can hear her now... " Really Dad... a Pit Bull !!!! What are we ... trailer trash ? " Just her sense of humor.
[image]
Quote 0 0
BeachieGirl33

I adopted a rescue kitten from Petsmart about 6 weeks or so ago.  At the time I felt God gave me a nudge and sent me there.  Long story short, I adopted Kitty and it didn't take me long to realize I made a mistake - a mistake for me.  My husband and son immediately grew attached to Kitty whose real name is Earl Grey - like the tea - as he is all grey.  My son felt it would be wrong to take him back so we kept him.  He's about 6 months old now and is so full of energy and life.  Like your Lady, I'm sure my Little wouldn't like him as he wanted me all to himself.  It's been hard for me.  I felt like I was being disloyal to Little.  But this Kitty has brought light and smiles into our dark home.  He has helped us with our grieving process.  I hope eventually I can open my heart up to him and not feel guilty.  Don't get me wrong - I cuddle him, play with him, etc.  I'm just scared to open up all the way I guess.  So I think I did the right thing by adopting him.  I just couldn't see myself going the rest of my life without a kitty. 

Today is 15 weeks since I lost my Little.  Always hard on Wednesdays.  Still hurts so much.

Love the picture of you and your new baby.  He is very handsome.  So sorry for the loss of your Lady.

Hugs ...

Betty
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
As most of you know, I was Fostering Peanut for about a month.  Then I adopted him.  I was so so lonely here without Winston.  When he passed, it was the forst time since I was 12 i didn't have a dog.  I admit it took me a while to warm up to him.  Foe the same reasons as you had. I would be betraying Winston.  My Peanut will never replace my Winston, he wasn't meant to.  But I can say now, I am in love with Peanut. 

I also told everyone NEVER AGAIN.  But my life without a dog is totally empty.  I wish us all Luck!   Sue
Susan
Quote 0 0
Ell99
What a beautiful story. Firstly that you rescued bull from the shelter and will give him a great loving home. Also that after weeks even months that there is a little light at the end of the tunnel. Sorry for the loss of lady- she would be proud that you gave another puppy a chance to a nice life. Elle
Quote 0 0
Bailey15
phalaris14, I am so happy that you decided to get a new dog. He is a very handsome looking boy! I agree with Elle, Lady would be glad you gave another beautiful soul a chance at a good life!
When I was in university, I worked at a pet store and we had a little pit bull there. No one bought him for a very long time and he began to look at me as his mom. He was one of the most beautiful, caring, sweet little dogs I have ever known. I feel badly for pit bulls (likely because I got to know this little guy). I think so many are taken and abused and then people wonder why they become aggressive. I know that Bull is only part Pit Bull And I also know he has found a wonderful home - just like Cam, Betty, and Susan's new family additions! Congratulations to all! :)
MJ
Quote 0 0
Sampson
Good for you to get this beautiful dog! I think your Lady is smiling down knowing you've given hope and a a new home to a dog who might not have had either.
Best!
S.
Quote 0 0