derekvof

My cat, Walter, passed away a couple weeks ago at age 20. In the last three years, he was my wife’s “rock” while I battled MDS/AML and spent 6 months hospitalized for two bone marrow transplants and over 100 blood and platelet transfusions. He kept things together and we miss him greatly. We put together a video of his life, along with my fight. Having something to fight for has been instrumental in my recovery.

Quote 0 0
Molly24
Wow that was such a touching video and amazing memories through tough times. You are so lucky to have such amazing love from an amazing cat for 20 years! My kitty recently passed from lymphoma as well. I also chose to put her through chemo which worked but was unfortunately only temporary. I am so sorry for you loss and I believe they are still with us. We will see them again one day.
Quote 0 0
Millie18
Wow what an amazing tribute!

So happy you are doing better and that you were able to give your boy a fantastic send-off. 20 years old and he never appeared to have aged! That happy spirit within a happy family just kept him young. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Wishing your smaller family all the best <3
Diana

Mom to Millie, Roman, Snoopy & step sister to O'Boy
Quote 0 0
derekvof
Thank you so much, Molly24 and Millie18. Even our vet techs were surprised at how old he was. One commented that Walt was older than she was. And yes, I hate lymphoma as well. My wife and I have lost 3 cats and 1 dog from cancers. 
Quote 0 0
Millie18
Walter had such a long and full life. I'm hoping that you are doing well now healthwise, and that you are able to enjoy the rest of your animal family.

After having had 6 dogs, this was my 1st cancer experience. I chose not to do chemo and just put her on the steroids because I knew the ongoing tests and vet visits would have stressed her out. I wanted to enjoy our time together instead of making vet visits. By the time her test results for lymphoma came back positive she was already stage 4 and given 2-4 months to live. 6 months prior tests had came back negative.  This happened after having lost 4 human friends to cancer within the last 2 years, all in their 40's.

After losing so many people in my life I decided to stop working and spend the last 5 months home with Millie. We were training in nose work and our bond had strengthened exponentially that I wanted to spend as much time as I could with her. This was even before we had gotten the diagnosis. I'm so glad I did because the time between her diagnosis until her last hour spanned only 6 weeks.

I guess it's just a reminder to all of us not to take our time for granted, as I'm sure you have already realized having been through your own personally trying times. 

I wish you, your wife and family all the best. Look up into the clouds to greet your Walter every morning as he looks down upon you with his kitty smile : )
Diana

Mom to Millie, Roman, Snoopy & step sister to O'Boy
Quote 0 0
exburt
Thanks to you for the inspirational post, and to the universe for gifting us with Walter.  Normally when people post to RB, it's a plea to be lifted from the depths of despair, but this time it's you that did the uplifting. I'm privileged to meet Walter, you, and the rest of your family. 

I've always felt cats were plugged in to a realm where us humans are seldom allowed.  It seems clear that Walter let you in to touch the light. 

Again, thanks. I won't forget it.

Burt 
B Weinstein
Quote 0 0