jimmy17
2 weeks ago today we lost our beloved Jimmy, he was a little rescue dog and we`d had him since he was 4 months old. He was 17 and 3 months when we lost him, and as we`d never had children he was more like our child. I still can`t believe he`s no longer here, he`d had quite a few problems over the last few years, but had always bounced back like the the little toughie he was. However on the Saturday night he couldn`t settle, pacing round and round, didn`t want to eat or drink anything. He slept next to us in his basket and we eventually settled him down, but 2.30 in the morning my husband went downstairs with him. We ended up having to take him to a 24 hour vets, we both knew this was going to be the end, I don`t think he would have lived for more than a couple of hours - the vet also said this after checking him. We both stayed with him - something I never thought I`d be able to do, and it was so peaceful. We picked his ashes up last Monday, and I keep them next to me all the time. But I feel so guilty - i`m not even sure why, as I know that he had the most wonderful life, his last few years he had the best care and love ever - and yet I feel I`ve failed him in some way. The house is so empty, our lives practically revolved around him, I even think I can hear him sometimes and both of us can sometimes smell him. People ask if we`ll get another dog, I can`t even think about that at the moment, as I don`t think another dog could possibly fill the hole in our hearts and home which Jim has left. We`ve lost dogs before , and I`ve been devastated, but nothing like this. A friend told me years ago that if you`re lucky you`ll get a Once In A Lifetime Dog - well Jim was most definately that.
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
Just wanted to say how sorry I am to read about your wonderful Jimmy.  Wow, 17 years and 3 months with you is truly a blessing.  Try to just remember the good times you all spent with Jimmy and the wonderful life you and your husband shared with him.  Your Jimmy would never ever think you failed him in any way, shape or form hon and right now I know what the empty house is since my dear service dog Roxie passed last night.  I have no idea what I will do without her but I know in my heart the tough decision I had to make to do the best for her was the right thing to do.  As with your vet, the emergency vet here said that even if they did every herculean effort possible she most likely would not live the night through so I could not have her suffer in pain but rather pass peacefully with me stroking her gorgeous face as I always did.

Can't talk or type anymore and I am sorry for your loss but know there seems to be a great group of fur-baby parents here to lend a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen with and an open heart which we learned the true meaning of from our fur-babies.
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Jerseynonna, I`m so sorry about your Roxie - its so so hard to let them go , even when you know its the right and only thing to do. As you`ve read, I`m only 2 weeks in to trying to cope with it, and this certainly is a great group for support. Stay strong and huge hugs to you, our friends will be running free over The Rainbow Bridge together. xxxxx
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
vlmatt
Hello, I had to reply as I too lost my cat 2 months ago and she was all I had.  So I do know what you are going through, and how EMPTY it feels.  I have no children or husband, so totally empty.  However, thank God for God because He's gotten me through it all!!  You don't think you will, but the FACT is you will, hour by hour, day by day.  Fall into the Grace and Love of God that gives meaning to life.   Your precious Jimmy is now with the Creator God!  He's there!  He's now waiting for YOU!    Though they are now full and free, we are not.   We grieve and it's ok!  Grieving mean that we LOVED!  That is a good tear!  This too shall pass, and as the pain arises like a wave, let it come to the shore, and then go back out.....ride the wave.  Believe that it does not hang perpetually 24/7, ok?  GOD BLESS YOU!!
Vicki Mattingly 
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Thanks Vicki, I really believe my little dog is with God, every living breathing thing has a purpose in life, animals are so innocent, they wish no harm unlike some of the human race. I know he is waiting for us to join him some day, until then we cherish his memory and hope he is at peace with my dad who idolised him. xx

J Taylor
Quote 0 0