shorty
My beloved Boxer Mugsy died in November. Even though it's been a very busy time around here since we've had the holidays during that time.I also have 4 kids and a husband to keep me going. I don't feel like I'm getting around this grief yet. 

Part of it is the fact that I've been a stay at home mom for many years and Mugsy was here for 14 of them. Providing unconditional love and affection to everyone in our family and anyone that came to our house. He was our official greeter, even if someone only stepped outside for a minute, he was thrilled when you came back in. Each day when I go anywhere and then come back I still wait for his happy greeting. It lasts a shorter time but - the expectation and the let down are there daily...

I don't know how long this will continue. I've lost other pets in my lifetime and it was sad, but this guy's death has me in such a state.
Thank for reading my rambling.

Quote 0 0
sydney1201
I am so sorry for your loss. I completely understand the pain and sadness that you are experiencing. I think it is totally normal to be grieving still. I lost my baby a little over 6 weeks ago, and I feel as if it happened yesterday. Our babies rely on us for almost everything, and when you get that unconditional love from them, every day of their lives, your heart is filled with happiness and joy. When that dreadful day comes, you are left with that big void in your heart. I'm sure you have many fond memories....keep them close to your heart, and just know that your baby loved you so much.
I love you Sydney
6.4.01~12.1.10
Quote 0 0
Meghanm
Hi Shorty. I am really sorry to read about the loss of Mugsy. The holidays are a busy time and it is easy to get caught up in the rush of it all. But after the cards and visits stop, you are left alone with your own thoughts. I can understand why it is just hitting you now. Boxers are wonderful dogs, with lots of personality! If you would like to share, I would love to hear a few stories about Mugsy. It is OK to grieve on your own time; there is no set schedule or "best way to grieve". I am thinking of you.
Meghan

"If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever." ~ The Crow

"We don't "get over" our losses and just move on, we learn to live differently."
~ http://www.angelbluemist.com/frames/guilt.html
Quote 0 0
judylinn

I'm sorry about Mugsy. Sometimes with all those people around, you don't get the space you need to allow the grieving and the tears to come out, you just have to hold it in. Can you find someplace to get away a bit by yourself, and just let the tears flow. 2 months is not a long time in the grieving process...not when you've lost a family member. I send you my good thoughts and prayers. Judy

Quote 0 0
donnalee
Shorty,
I'm so sorry about Mugsy....14 years is a long time.  What a strong bond of love you two must have had (still have).    It is so true what you say...we love all the animals we've had during a lifetime, but then, along comes that SPECIAL ONE that just steals our heart so completely and it's just practically impossible to get over the great loss of such a devoted friend.   I also understand what you are talking about when you say you miss that happy greeting.  I was thinking about that very same thing this week.  It's been over 9 months for me now but I was gathering my things to get out of the car yesterday and it hit me.....the way it used to be....I'd get out and hit the button to lock the car, it would make the chirping noise, and then I'd hear the excited bark from behind the door.  He was always anxiously waiting at the door.  When he heard that chirp, he knew I was home.  He was always SO happy & excited to see me.  No matter what kind of day I was having, that greeting just made me laugh & feel so loved and all the problems of the day just melted away.   I gather your Mugsy made you feel that way too....and it is as you say...maybe you only stepped away for a short time but it didn't matter!  Goodness, what love! 
So, how long does it take?  I really don't know.  I do know it takes a long time and you have to allow yourself to grieve.  Please know you are not rambling.  It is important to express your thoughts and feelings and this is a place you can do that freely and you can take your time.  Mugsy sounds like quite a great guy.    That is so wonderful that you got to be a stay-at-home mom...for your kids and for your furry kid, Mugsy.  Sounds like he had a very happy life and experienced a lot of love.  Thinking of you.  I hope you will let us know how you are doing. 
Quote 0 0
shorty
Wow - thank you everyone for your kind words! It feels so wonderful to know in a space of a couple of days that people took time out of their busy lives to read my little note.
I truly appreciate each of your words, and can't adequately express how they've made me feel lighter in some way...
Quote 0 0
Woodypatty
You are not rambling. Coming to this site and writing about Mugsy should help with the grief if only a little.It has been a little over two months for me and I understand your pain. This path of grief is so slow. I also understand grieving being more powerful for some souls. I have loved all my fur babies and grieve them still but Ravens death hit me really hard. I wish you some peace in this day.                                   Patty
Quote 0 0
shorty
I'm back again.
 Today is the first nice weather we've had in ages. I thought to myself "It's so nice out I should take the dog for a walk!" Got really excited for a second and then - it hit me all over again. Ugh - I hate this. Why do they have such short lives? Thanks for reading...
Quote 0 0
Woodypatty
Spring coming and walks has been a trigger for me as well. Just  a few days ago I walked Ravens mom down a path I hadn't traveled since Raven was alive. I remembered how excited Raven had been and how she would always in her excitement get her leash tangled with her moms. Although my days are better now suddenly I be hit with a thought or memory that will bring such an ache to my heart. I know where you are. We will be here for you through the triggers.      Patty
Quote 0 0