Forum

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 6      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
Peter_S

Reply with quote  #16 
Denise,

This is so painfully beautiful I don't know what to say, except thank you. Thank you for writing this and thank you for posting it. It was so easy for me to see my Harley in every line. Of course, I know this about Sammy and what a wonderfully beautiful and amazing picture you've painted of him, of yourself and of the gorgeous, ocean deep bond between you two. Any person who has ever loved this completely and lived through the misery of such loss will be moved by what you've written here, just as I am. Harley had such huge paws, I adored them and still late at night when I'm dozy or half awake and half asleep I still reach out to hold one of those amazing paws that felt so delicious and warm. They had the scent of the earth, of crunchy Fall Leaves, acorns and twigs.

Knowing there's a kindred spirit out there (you) is a gift, I find so much solace in how you write and what you share about Sammy you express his essence and all his little eccentric and endearing traits so perfectly that I want to hug him too. No wonder you love him so much, you always will. Maybe they know we speak to each other sometimes only in thought but it helps just the same and I'm grateful for that. I haven't started Lyns book yet but I hope I can learn to recognize the signs, I want to believe Harley visits me, if he truly does I don't want to miss a single moment of it ~ Peter 

"We could protect you from anything but time"

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/HARLE301/Resident.htm
neesy369

Reply with quote  #17 
Hi Peter,  I have something amazing I want to share with you.  I am so excited to share this with you.  I found something this morning.  First I want to thank you for your kind words about my last post of Sammy.  I too think we are kindred spirits.  I love chatting with you and I love your posts of Harley

So, let me explain.  I bought this house a year ago, to be able to move my mother and her kitty in as she is getting older and has trouble taking care of herself.  I couldn't think of putting her in an assisted living facility.  I mention in Sammy's memorial, he lasted an entire year in the new house with all of us.  Once he realized we were ok, and he could no longer hang on, he let us know he was ready.

Yesterday I was telling my mom that I would wash her sheets and vacuum her room.  Much to my amazement, when I went in her room I found a large feather laying on her floor.  The book "Signs From Pets In The Afterlife" mentions feathers as being a sign.  Now, we do not have birds, and there are no feather down blankets or pillows in our house, so I realized Sammy had been in my mom's room with her last night, and he must have heard me mention that I would be cleaning her room, so he left the feather for me as a sign.  When I showed it to my mom, she said she saw it but didn't know where it came from.  She didn't know about the book I was reading, so I explained to her that this was a sign from Sammy.  It was such a wonderful experience and I just had to share it with you.  I have no other explanation for this feather being right there at the right time.  This gives me more faith that our fur angels are with us.  I know you Harley will send you a sign when you are ready.  Thank you for letting me share this with you.  It feels so wonderful to be able to share these feelings and memories with you and I am so grateful this forum has brought us together.  Well I hope you have a good weekend, and please stop by and share about Harley again...You are always in my thoughts and prayers...Denise Sam (Sammy)'s mommy

Reply with quote  #18 
Hi Neesy369, I had no idea about the feathers being a sign from our loved ones. I posted awhile back that a couple of weeks after Bosco died my husband came home from work and went to put his things down and a bird flew off of a shelf and started flying around the room. I had been sitting in the room all evening long with our other dogs and we never noticed it. The bird was acting the same way Bosco did every evening when my husband got home, flying around excited that his daddy was home. Our other dogs never even barked at it. It was as if it was just a normal thing for them to see. I was able to get the dogs out of the room and my husband gently coaxed it out of the house. We both thought that maybe it was Bosco coming back to see us.

Mendy
neesy369

Reply with quote  #19 
Dear Mendy. I bet it was him. In the book that I read and purchased from Amazon "Signs From Pets In The Afterlife", birds are also signs from our beloved fur Angel's. From what I read, it definitely seems like that was your beloved Bosco saying hi and letting you know he is still with you. It gives me so much joy to know that they really do send us signs. God Bless
Denise Sam (Sammy)'a mommy

Reply with quote  #20 
Thank you for sharing. I am ordering the book now!

Mendy
Peter_S

Reply with quote  #21 
Hi Denise,

What an incredible experience, I'm so happy for you there's no doubt Sammy is with you watching over you and your Mom and he always will be. I had no clue about the feathers and hope to learn that and more from the book which I'll start later today. I just love that you have your Mom with you and can still share things together - my Mom will be 90 on March 16  my father is 91 and in the hospital but will be released tomorrow -  I know caring for an elderly parent is both heart lifting and heart breaking.
For some reason I never log out of RB, I think it must have to do with some subconscious desire or need to never break any tie I have left with Harley, silly I know - but then my screen saver is a favorite picture of him, I sit in front of it and talk to him or mostly cry like the big weepy baby I've become, and damn proud of it too!
I think of you often as well and always with kindness and the hope that your heart is healing. I've looked at Sammy's pictures many times and did again yesterday just before I started to write you and boy, he was really so gorgeous. His white coat and those lake water brown eyes they're so expressive that they're magical. The word "beautiful" doesn't do them justice. I love that he was a big boy just like Harley. I love all dogs but my heart belongs to those big gentle giants there's just something about hugging them and the way you feel everything from protected to loved, just by lounging with them, by being in their presence.
I know you'll cherish that feather forever - what an amazing gift, I hope I'm as lucky one day. I did have a little moment late at night when I got up to leave the room and for a second maybe not even that long I looked back towards the bed and there he was, sprawled out on his side, his front paws crossed like usual in that tiny, fleeting nano second he was there - and then just as quickly it was gone wishful thinking or a dream it doesn't matter it lifted my spirits in what was no longer than a blink of the eye. For some reason yesterday and last night were especially hard and I wept over his death like he had just died all over again, today is a bit better and I suppose this is how life will be for us for however long it takes. I'll tell you this, it sure helps knowing there's someone reading this who knows how I feel - thank you for the lovely note you left in Harley's guest book, it made me smile. Peter

In a message dated 3/9/2019 10:13:07 AM Eastern Standard Time, noresponse@websitetoolbox.com writes:

So, let me explain.  I bought this house a year ago, to be able to move my mother and her kitty in as she is getting older and has trouble taking care of herself.  I couldn't think of putting her in an assisted living facility.  I mention in Sammy's memorial, he lasted an entire year in the new house with all of us.  Once he realized we were ok, and he could no longer hang on, he let us know he was ready.

Yesterday I was telling my mom that I would wash her sheets and vacuum her room.  Much to my amazement, when I went in her room I found a large feather laying on her floor.  The book "Sings From Pets In The Afterlife" mentions feathers as being a sign.  Now, we do not have birds, and there are no feather down blankets or pillows in our house, so I realized Sammy had been in my mom's room with her last night, and he must have heard me mention that I would be cleaning her room, so he left the feather for me to sign.  When I showed it to my mom, she said she saw it but didn't know where it came from.  She didn't know about the book I was reading, so I explained to her that this was a sign from Sammy.  It was such a wonderful experience and I just had to share it with you.  I have no other explanation for this feather being right there at the right time.  This gives me more faith that our fur angels are with us.  I know you Harley will send you a sign when you are ready.  Thank you for letting me share this with you.  It feels so wonderful to be able to share these feelings and memories with you and I am so grateful this forum has brought us together.  Well I hope you have a good weekend, and please stop by and share about Harley again...You are always in my thoughts and prayers...Denise Sam (Sammy)'s mommy

neesy369

Reply with quote  #22 
Hi there Peter,

I knew you would get a sign from Harley,  I just knew it!  That nano second was a sign from him.  You will see, once you read the book.  I am sorry you had a rough weekend, and I am glad you are doing better today.  We have all become big weepy babies.  I think my husband is getting tired of me crying, so I have been trying to do it when he is not around.  He loved Sammy very much but I guess he just handles it differently than I do.  I, on the other hand, am very sad again today, and I am so happy you responded, because your posts do make me feel better.  It is so strange how the pain goes back and forth the way it does.  I think Mondays are difficult for me because that is the day we had to say goodbye to him.  Monday's will always be hard for me I guess.  I am not very technically inclined, so I am having trouble uploading Sammy's pictures because it says something about the size isn't correct.  I will have to see if my stepson can help so you can see some more pictures.  I just love all of the pictures of your Harley.  He was/is so adorable with that big beautiful face and big husky body, it just makes you want to give him a big hug and squeeze.  I sure do wish that we didn't have to feel this pain, but I guess we are lucky because we had something we loved that much.  We  were fortunate to have such a wonderful, pure and amazing love, that we will never forget.  I am keeping you and Harley in my thoughts.  Thank you for responding, I really needed it today😉
Denise Sam (Sammy)'s mommy

Reply with quote  #23 
I'm so happy that you think it was a sign, I want to believe it was even more, I need to believe it was. I wish I could offer up some advice or say something to ease the sorrow you're feeling today but you know as well as I that there isn't. I can only tell you that I'm thinking of you, I hear you, I will never judge or demean you and that I am your friend. There are parts of this loss that are like a puzzle to me and I try to find these new pieces of that puzzle and fit them together somehow but maybe I try too hard - I think you and I are pieces of this puzzle there's been this organic connection and so like the signs themselves it's probably of little or no value to try and analyze and understand them - it's better to just accept and be grateful.
How you feel about Mondays is how I feel about Thursday that was the day Harley died, his time of death 11:05 AM I think I've told you his head was in my arms and he was munching his favorite peanut butter cookies, I was sobbing into his neck and saying thank you over and over as horrible as that day was I know he didn't suffer and that he was surrounded by love and knowing this helps at least sometimes. I watched this lady on youtube I'll find the name for you, she's a grief counselor and specializes in pet loss and in this particular video she talks about the different levels of bonds that exist, her point being the more you can understand the bond the greater the understanding of your own grief. I've forgotten much of it but for instance a standardized bond might be the loss of a family pet, a child's first encounter with death and loss the animal is missed but usually soon replaced and life marches on.
She talks about a whole bunch of these and all the way at the opposite end of the spectrum is what she called the Unique Bond - here, the Human and dog share an incredibly deep and personal bond - virtually the exact same as parent and child. I know that's where you and I are and the help is mutual because when a human being dies there's this huge outpouring of support along with rituals like funeral services and so on but like Gary Kowalski says in "Goodbye, Friend" after suffering one of the most profound losses of our lives we come home to an empty house - that's more than sad to me, it's terribly tragic, so thank goodness for places like RB and kindred spirits like you.
I love that there's another soul on this earth who blubbers through this god awful process like I do! Like your husband Sean grieves so differently it's easy for him to get on with life and I can see how someone might think he isn't grieving at all - but I know and I should we've been together for thirty years, that he's suffering too. We all grieve differently, sometimes I need to remind myself of that.
Be good to yourself today my friend, take a walk, a long soak in a hot bath, eat a cookie. This day like all things will pass - and please post some more pics of Sammy when you feel up to it ~ Peter

In a message dated 3/11/2019 11:23:43 AM Eastern Standard Time, noresponse@websitetoolbox.com writes:

I knew you would get a sign from Harley,  I just knew it!  That nano second was a sign from him.  You will see, once you read the book.  I am sorry you had a rough weekend, and I am glad you are doing better today.  We have all become big weepy babies.  I think my husband is getting tired of me crying, so I have been trying to do it when he is not around.  He loved Sammy very much but I guess he just handles it differently than I do.  I, on the other hand, am very sad again today, and I am so happy you responded, because your posts do make me feel better.  It is so strange how the pain goes back and forth the way it does.  I think Mondays are difficult for me because that is the day we had to say goodbye to him.  Monday's will always be hard for me I guess.  I am not very technically inclined, so I am having trouble uploading Sammy's pictures because it says something about the size isn't correct.  I will have to see if my stepson can help so you can see some more pictures.  I just love all of the pictures of your Harley.  He was/is so adorable with that big beautiful face and big husky body, it just makes you want to give him a big hug and squeeze.  I sure do wish that we didn't have to feel this pain, but I guess we are lucky because we had something we loved that much.  We  were fortunate to have such a wonderful, pure and amazing love, that we will never forget.  I am keeping you and Harley in my thoughts.  Thank you for responding, I really needed it today😉

neesy369

Reply with quote  #24 
Hi my sweet baby boy.  Mommy wanted to let you know how very much she misses you today.  I also want to thank you so much for the beautiful sign you left me on Saturday (the feather) in grandma's room.  I was so happy when I saw it.  I want to thank you also for the signs from the 3 dragonflies today.  I know they must be signs from you as they were hovering around me while I walked on my break at work today.  Gosh I miss you so very much my love.  I know I say this to much but it's so true.  My heart still has a big giant hole in it and my life has a big hole because you are no longer here with me.  Well, I believe you are here in some way, just not in your physical form where I can hug and kiss you and see you.  It is just still so unbelievable that you are gone.  I still cry every day, but I think I have finally let you go because I do not have a choice.  I will still pray every night that  you wait for me my sunny sunshine.  I love you more than words can ever express.  I hope you always know this and wait for me so we can be together again.  I hope  you are having a wonderful day in the sunny fields over the Rainbow Bridge.  I am still reading a lot of books about pet loss grief and signs from pets in the afterlife.  I will always love you my beautiful handsome boy.  Please don't forget me.  I will write again soon.  All my love...mommy
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Sammy...My one and Only Always and Forever
neesy369

Reply with quote  #25 
Good morning my friend Peter,

Hope you are doing well.  Monday was a rough one for me and yesterday as well, but I did get through it and feel better today.  I hope you are also having a good day.  I wanted to thank you for understanding me.  I completely believe that you would never demean me and I hope that you know this is true for me to you as well.  

You are so right about people not understanding our grief.  There have been 3 deaths of family members to people in my office (Yes this has been a terrible year already), and everyone got grievance days off and cards from management.  I got none of those things.  We had to send Sammy home on Monday around 5:15 and my boss did let me take off work Tuesday, but that was all.  This is why I am so grateful for this website and so grateful to have found a friend like you.  Although I don't really know you and have not met you I truly feel like you are a friend.  

The shirt that you were wearing that horrible day, do you still have it and have you washed it yet?  It's nice to know that Harley was munching on his favorite cookies when he left his earthly body.  I can just picture it in my mind.  I have not washed the blanket Sammy was laying on.  I sleep with it every night. We had these little socks we bought for him with rubber padding on the bottom so that he would not slide around our wood and tile floors.  I hold them and rub them with my fingers when I watch TV.  I still have not cleaned his nose prints off of my front windows either.  I just cannot bring myself to do it yet. 

I wanted to let you know that I figured out how to add photos to Sammy's memorial page. the photos wont load up on this forum post because of something to do with the size but they are on his memorial page.  I was looking at your Harley's photos.  He was/is such a cute guy.  I can see his big beautiful heart and it reminds me so much of my Sammy's.  I know they have also become friends and are enjoying running and playing with each-other.

So I have finished reading"The Amazing Afterlife of Animals" by Karen A. Anderson. I know you are getting ready to start reading "Signs from Pets in the Afterlife".  You may find that book a little hokey, but it basically just gives you things to look out for that pets may be sending to us as signs, like the feather I found for instance.  This last book I read "The Amazing Afterlife of Animals" is my favorite one yet!  I think you would enjoy this one more than the others as well.  It starts off a little hokey not, to much,  but the more your read the more you understand.  It is really amazing the gift this woman has.  I am going to try to contact her.  Anyway, if you get a chance read this one as well.  I really think you will like it.

Well check in whenever you get a chance, and I hope tomorrow will not be so bad for you.  I am here if you need to vent.

Your friend,

Peter_S

Reply with quote  #26 
Hi Denise,

I was so hoping that I would get a message from you, you've been in my thoughts along with Sammy and of course my Harley. I'm sorry to hear of the rough days, I don't know why but the past few have been dreadful for me too, as if he's died all over again I been feeling that gutted and the wound that open and raw. Reading you letter and signing Sammy's guest book has helped a great deal, and wow, was/is Sammy jaw dropping gorgeous it's the kind of beauty you don't see a lot of, I think it has a lot to do with his eyes they're magical and so wonderful - it's just a great pleasure for me too see him especially now that I feel I know him so much better and I love, love, love the thought that he and Harley have made a connection together it's this wonderful, lovely thought to hold - precious and healing.
As for that shirt I'll never wash it. I carefully folded it and put it away, so I have his scent on the orange towel and a shirt that's literally covered with his DNA. And this will no doubt sound gross but I have these two huge pads, their wee wee pads but you wash them and re use them and because Harley had, had a few accidents which mortified him no end I though because he sleeps in the bed these would be important to have and although he never peed in bed or on those pads, they're still there under his big orange towel - Elvis and I often lay there and if I'm crying (which seems to be my natural state these days) Harley's scent which was always like graham crackers becomes really powerful so I don't know if it's that the tears bring this on or if this is a sign, all I know is that it comforts be and I believe it's the same for Elvis too. We've been talking about a playmate for Elvis and we should have done this long before Harley died because we got Elvis when Harley was 5 so living with another dog is all Elvis has ever known and we feel horrible leaving him all alone in the house. So of course my heart aches to raise a puppy again but on the other hand I also know this isn't the right time, do you ever feel this way about bringing in another dog? It's incredibly conflicting..ugh.
I laughed when you called Lyn Ragan's book "Hokey" because it sure is, to be fair I've only read the introduction and all I kept thinking was that she has to be one of the worst writers I've ever read, I'm not saying I'm dismissing it or that it doesn't have value and I'll definitely finish it but you don't have to be a nuclear physicist to understand why she had to publish it herself! I'm taking your recommendation and getting "The Amazing Afterlife of Animals" then between the two of us we'll have enough books to open our own grief library, my favorite so far is Goodbye, Friend.
It's my hope the day is a little easier for you today than it's been, as always, you're in my thoughts.
Your Friend,
Peter 

In a message dated 3/13/2019 9:30:41 AM Eastern Standard Time, noresponse@websitetoolbox.com writes:

Hope you are doing well.  Monday was a rough one for me and yesterday as well, but I did get through it and feel better today.  I hope you are also having a good day.  I wanted to thank you for understanding me.  I completely believe that you would never demean me and I hope that you know this is true for me to you as well.  

You are so right about people not understanding our grief.  There have been 3 deaths of family members to people in my office (Yes this has been a terrible year already), and everyone got grievance days off and cards from management.  I got none of those things.  We had to send Sammy home on Monday around 5:15 and my boss did let me take off work Tuesday, but that was all.  This is why I am so grateful for this website and so grateful to have found a friend like you.  Although I don't really know you and have not met you I truly feel like you are a friend.  

The shirt that you were wearing that horrible day, do you still have it and have you washed it yet?  It's nice to know that Harley was munching on his favorite cookies when he left his earthly body.  I can just picture it in my mind.  I have not washed the blanket Sammy was laying on.  I sleep with it every night. We had these little socks we bought for him with rubber padding on the bottom so that he would not slide around our wood and tile floors.  I hold them and rub them with my fingers when I watch TV.  I still have not cleaned his nose prints off of my front windows either.  I just cannot bring myself to do it yet. 

I wanted to let you know that I figured out how to add photos to Sammy's memorial page. the photos wont load up on this forum post because of something to do with the size but they are on his memorial page.  I was looking at your Harley's photos.  He was/is such a cute guy.  I can see his big beautiful heart and it reminds me so much of my Sammy's.  I know they have also become friends and are enjoying running and playing with each-other.

So I have finished reading"The Amazing Afterlife of Animals" by Karen A. Anderson. I know you are getting ready to start reading "Signs from Pets in the Afterlife".  You may find that book a little hokey, but it basically just gives you things to look out for that pets may be sending to us as signs, like the feather I found for instance.  This last book I read "The Amazing Afterlife of Animals" is my favorite one yet!  I think you would enjoy this one more than the others as well.  It starts off a little hokey not, to much,  but the more your read the more you understand.  It is really amazing the gift this woman has.  I am going to try to contact her.  Anyway, if you get a chance read this one as well.  I really think you will like it.

Well check in whenever you get a chance, and I hope tomorrow will not be so bad for you.  I am here if you need to vent.

Your friend,

neesy369

Reply with quote  #27 
Peter,  thank you so very much for the beautiful post on Sammy's memorial.  It made me cry tears of joy.  Joy because I have found a wonderful friend through all of this pain.  Just as Harley and Sam have become friends.  I don't think it is gross at all about the pee pee pads or the shirt.  My husband and I don't sleep in the same room together.  I snore and get up too much during the night which makes the dogs bark and He rolls around to much so we have our own separate bedrooms.  I have Sammy's bed, leash and collar and food bowl in my room.  I make his bed every morning with the blanket I sleep with.  Isn't it funny the things we do to make us feel closer to them? 

I sort of got rushed into getting a new dog.  It was that weekend we went to 5 different shelters to find a companion for Chino.  He was a puppy when we brought him home to Sammy.  Sammy saved his life many times, silly little thing.  One time we were at a friends house and the dogs were home.  We decided to get something to eat, and for some reason I insisted on going home to change clothes.  Thank goodness I did.  We drove up, and my husband, Donny went into the house and I heard him yell.  Chino, the little one, had tangled himself up in the blinds.  Sammy had chewed the blinds down trying to get him untied from the string but he was still stuck around the string by his neck area.  Sammy's blood was all over the blinds from trying to get his little buddy down.  Needless to say, we decided to stay home that night and from  then on all blinds would be open while we were out.  Chino was devastated when his Sammy disappeared and he didn't know where he was.  He whimpered and slept all day and night and you could tell he was grief stricken.  We had no choice but to go get him a little buddy.  We finally found one at the last shelter in our area and they get along wonderfully.  You can tell, sometimes, Chino still wanders off sometimes and looks for Sammy.  I am still having a hard time bonding with the new one but I tell myself it's not the poor little doggies fault and he is so happy to have been saved and have a home with people who will love him.  

When and if you are ready, Harley will help you find the perfect companion for Elvis just like Sammy did for us.  And just know, you are not replacing Harley because no one can replace him, you are just giving Elvis a little buddy and giving another animal a loving home.

I am glad you are considering reading the book "The Amazing Afterlife of Animals".  I know you have certain beliefs and doubts, as we all do, but from what you write in your posts, I think this one may be more geared to you.

Thank you again for letting me ramble.

I am always here for you my friend

Peter_S

Reply with quote  #28 
Denise,

You never have to thank me, ever. I think if it wasn't for you I would be in a padded cell someplace, sitting the corner drooling all over myself - oh wait, that's what I'm doing right now. Sean and I discovered the importance of separate bedrooms a long time ago, for us it just makes sense. I snore too, he's alight sleeper and I'm an insomniac so my "sleeping partner" has really always been Harley which makes night time so incredibly hard. I miss the weight of him, the presence of him. He was a big boy because in his prime he was about 100 lbs and around his death I know his last weigh in was 88 lbs, God I miss him..
It's wonderful that you found a little friend, we need to do this for Elvis it'll be good for me too. It's unfair of me but I often get so angry - what I mean is I've had dogs my entire life and I knew years ago how important it would be to introduce a new dog for lots of reasons. My Mom always told me that nothing revives an old dog like a puppy and she was spot on right, so as I realized that Harley was entering his geriatric years I would start expressing the need to get another dog and it seemed Sean always had justifiable reasons not too, so I find myself getting angry at him and I shouldn't it's just me being childish and channeling my anger over Harley's death into something else...poor Sean he has to put up with me. Anyway I'm inspired by what you guys did because it's the right thing for Chino and another dog can save the other from more than blinds (BTW that's an amazing story) by filling a place in their heart that maybe humans don't quite understand.
I stumbled across this video on youtube it was of interest in that helped me to understand my bond with Harley in the context of the grief I feel, which is the deepest I've ever known. I think I brought it up before, you'll immediately recognize where you are in the spectrum this woman talks about and I'll be the big mess right next to you.

Peter

In a message dated 3/13/2019 11:33:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, noresponse@websitetoolbox.com writes:

I sort of got rushed into getting a new dog.  It was that weekend we went to 5 different shelters to find a companion for Chino.  He was a puppy when we brought him home to Sammy.  Sammy saved his life many times, silly little thing.  One time we were at a friends house and the dogs were home.  We decided to get something to eat, and for some reason I insisted on going home to change clothes.  Thank goodness I did.  We drove up, and my husband, Donny went into the house and I heard him yell.  Chino, the little one, had tangled himself up in the blinds.  Sammy had chewed the blinds down trying to get him untied from the string but he was still stuck around the string by his neck area.  Sammy's blood was all over the blinds from trying to get his little buddy down.  Needless to say, we decided to stay home that night and from  then on all blinds would be open while we were out.  Chino was devastated when his Sammy disappeared and he didn't know where he was.  He whimpered and slept all day and night and you could tell he was grief stricken.  We had no choice but to go get him a little buddy.  We finally found one at the last shelter in our area and they get along wonderfully.  You can tell, sometimes, Chino still wanders off sometimes and looks for Sammy.  I am still having a hard time bonding with the new one but I tell myself it's not the poor little doggies fault and he is so happy to have been saved and have a home with people who will love him.  

When and if you are ready, Harley will help you find the perfect companion for Elvis just like Sammy did for us.  And just know, you are not replacing Harley because no one can replace him, you are just giving Elvis a little buddy and giving another animal a loving home.

I am glad you are considering reading the book "The Amazing Afterlife of Animals".  I know you have certain beliefs and doubts, as we all do, but from what you write in your posts, I think this one may be more geared to you.

Thank you again for letting me ramble.

I am always here for you my friend

neesy369

Reply with quote  #29 
Thank you Peter, I will watch it on my lunch break and get back to you on it.  We are so much alike, you and I.  I also got angry at Donny because he did not want to get another big dog.  I found a puppy that I really wanted, that would have ended up being a big dog like Sam.  He had to be treated for ringworm so I asked Donny if we could go back after he was treated and if we didn't find another dog.  Donny or Sam decided that little Scrappy would be a much better pick for Chino.  I became angry with Donny because I did not want another little dog.  I wanted one like Sammy and then realized no matter what kind of dog I got, it wasn't going to be Sammy.  I like you, was taking my anger out on my partner. 

I will check in with you soon, and if you need to vent or just write something about your Harley, I am always here for you.

Always your Friend

Peter_S

Reply with quote  #30 
Scrappy? I love it, your dogs all have the coolest and most wonderful names and they work, Sammy looks like a Sam and Chino for that little peanut, that's so very perfect. When we brought Harley home Sean was driving and I was holding this little 8 week old angel in my arms and we're bouncing names around I said Barley and then it became Harley which stuck and it fit him well but we called him just about everything else, Harmie, Harmo, Lil' Face, Big Face, Big Head, Big Boy, Har, Harley Davidson, Harbow and I could keep going but he sure knew his name was Harley despite how brain damaged he must have thought his Dad's were.

His ashes are in this really beautiful Urn, it's dark blue glass and I had a name plate made for him that drapes over it, but I don't look at it I'm not sure why. On a table in the living room there's a big photograph of him and Elvis sitting together, a granite stone I had made for him that just says H A R L E Y and then below his birth and death date, to the left is an engraving of the Tree of Life, it's small maybe 12 X 6 and not very thick we might put it outside and plant a tree, but I have a feeling I'll want it inside, I found it on Amazon their stone cutters out on the Florida keys it wasn't expensive at all not that that matters but it was something like $30 and I love it, we both due. There's no epitaph and that's fine too. I'm reminded of this very profound documentary called "Boy Interrupted" it's the story of a mothers journey through grief after the suicide of her very young fifteen year old son, she's a filmmaker and had started a documentary about her sons struggles with depression and after this tragedy happened she kept on filming.
Towards the end of the film someone comments about there not being an epitaph for him, just his name and those dates and that no one will know who he was. She answers by saying "They'll know someone loved him enough to carve his name" I understand what she means and feel the same way. His collars are there and a few other things we don't talk about taking it down, it's kind of like that orange towel it'll be there as long as it's needed so I know what you mean about having Sams things close by it's painful and it's comforting, we're holding on to everything we can and why not, it's just one more way we have to love them.
I just can't stop thinking how smart and good it was for you and Donny to get this little doggie and I can't wait until Sean get's home so I can tell him all about it, I thought all my love might have vanished with Harley but he wouldn't want that, I wouldn't want that and it's the same for you and Sam, these kids of ours will always live in our hearts and make us misty eyed. Loving another won't change that one bit - a part of me will always look for a glimpse of Harley in other dogs but I know they're as individual as humans, maybe even more so. Elvis needs a playmate so I feel we have find a way to make that happen, bring  a little ray of light and hope into this little family it's what you're doing and it's inspiring, which is something I'm beginning to think that you're a born natural at ~ Peter

I will check in with you soon, and if you need to vent or just write something about your Harley, I am always here for you.

Always your Friend

Denise Sam (Sammy)'s mommy   |

Harley Quick Facts:
* Loved his toys, especially his ball toys he would carry one outside and always bring it back in
* He would bring in the toys Elvis left outside
* He like to lay on top of Sean but across me
* He loved to be outside and sit or lay in the sun
In a message dated 3/13/2019 12:50:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, noresponse@websitetoolbox.com writes:

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.