mj1118
I had to put my Gus down on Monday and I am blown away by how quiet, empty and just different my house feels. Gus was old and sick, so he didn't move around much anyway, and he was quiet, slept a lot, but his absence is enormous. I cannot believe how much this hurts. I haven't had the heart to put away his food bowl yet, but the pain of seeing it day and night, empty is equally awful. I want this pain to go away. I don't feel like doing anything because my day-to-day life all feels unfamiliar, meanwhile life is going on around me as normal (which is annoying.)
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
mj, i'm so sorry for the loss of your gus and we here all know the feeling you describe.  sounds like your family and gus were blessed with a long good life together and there is no doubt whether he was active or just enjoying his golden years that you loved each other so much.  i'm sure you are all each grieving his loss in your own way so that also deepens the feeling of his no longer being physically around you, but have no doubt that his spirit has returned home to be where he was loved and loved to be the most.  the emptiness is the worse and that adds to the feeling of our loss because our days now have a new routine.  you're absolutely right, days now feel so unfamiliar to all of us and our lives seem almost like a nightmare that we just simply can't wake up from.  when I lost my service dog roxie the evening after Christmas very suddenly I really was in a zombie like fog where I couldn't sleep, had no appetite at all, and just had no real memory of those days following except for crying, heck I don't even know how I drove home other than by the grace of God helping me home.  the 26th marked the 4th month of roxie's passing and although I still cry for her daily, the actual days are getting better because I know for whatever reason she was called home and is in a wondrous place where she waits for me with my first service dog goldie who actually came to roxie at the vet to help her cross the bridge.  please know that what you offered to gus on Monday was the greatest act of love any of us humans can offer to our beloved friends - a freedom from old age, injury, illness to cross the bridge to where they are young, healthy and whole again.  a place where they play and run together in the sunshine, where they can lay belly up in that sunshine to nap...and a place where they wait for us to be reunited with them and never to be separated again.  we're here for all of you and many many hugs and prayers to you all.
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
mj   I feel exactly as you do right now.  Winston was old, and slept a lot.  My house feels so very empty without him.  I havent put anything away that was his.  His toys, food, treat jar with his name on it, everything is as he left it.  Yes, life goes on around me.  And it does annoy me because no one seems to care that I lost mt baby.  (I know its not the most important thing in the world)  But it is a huge deal to me.  

Accept my condolences on your loss of  Gus.  All of us here know the pain and lonliness you are dealing with.  Prayers  Sue
Susan
Quote 0 0
Daxiemum
So sorry for your loss I lost my winky a fortnight ago I know how you feel about the house being empty.his bed next to mine is still how he last slept in it .I find myself picking his little hairs off my clothes. Sometimes I can feel him still in the house. I take comfort knowing he had a pampered life and wanted for nothing.please !know your not alone we all share your greif having lost loved ones .
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
My Winston also had a pampered life, and wanted for nothing.  Which is exactly was my goal since I got him at age 7 weeks.  I know I did my best with him.

I couldn't bear to see him suffer even 1 more hour.  Which made my decision a little easier.  Prayers to you   Sue
Susan
Quote 0 0
camunki
sorry for the loss of your Gus and I can see how the house is quiet, you are missing an important family member.........and i still have my food bowls out on my counter so I can see them "everyday", I don't know when if i will ever be......be able to put them away. I lost my
beloved Munki on 12/3/15 and Daizy on 1/2/15 and both of their bowls are on my counter!!! I need to feel the somehow connection with them.

Please know this grieving path is a long hard road, take things one hour/one day at a time & know you are not alone!!

Cam

Quote 0 0
elliemeewiz
So sorry for your loss of Gus. I know exactly how you feel. I'm feeling the same way with Wiz gone. It is a deathening silence without him talking to me all day. I put some of his medical things and dishes away because it was too painful. Some are left out for Syb who shared them. 
My beloved sweet Tess August 1999 - February 21 2001
My beloved loyal Byron March 1998 - April 28 2008
My sweet beloved girlie Angelina April 2001- September 2012
Me & my sweet beloved Wizberry forever 1998- April 21, 2016
My sweet beloved Snow Goddess Sybil girlie April 2001- May 11,2018
Quote 0 0
Bailey15
I feel so badly for you. After we lost Bailey I put his bed away but then I had to take it back out. I had almost a panic attack looking at where it had been. I had thought it was the right thing to do at the time but now I realize it has to be when you feel ready. The oddest thing was a tiny treat he hadn't eaten and I had to leave it laying on the floor until our cleaner came and I guess she vacuumed it up - I'm a bit OCD when it comes to house stuff but I felt like it would kill me to touch it. Anyway, I understand everything you are saying. Bailey was 15 (we lost him in Nov. and he would have been 16 if he had made it to Jan) so he didn't play a lot anymore either but it's just their quiet, beautiful presence that you miss so much!
I started to write in a journal to Bailey and it was painful especially at first when I write to him but I felt a bit better afterward. Maybe you could try it - I think it's different for all of us but whatever helps....
I hope you are able to get some peace soon. I'm so very sorry you lost your beloved Gus!
Hugs,
MJ
Quote 0 0
Sampson
I would like to add my condolences on the loss of your Gus! Such a special friend!! This is such an extremely hard time for you. My heart goes out to you!
Hugs to you!
S.

(((((Gus)))))

Quote 0 0
mj1118
Thanks everyone, it's comforting to know there are so many others feeling the exact same way as me. Today has been one week, and I am feeling better but I get waves of heartbreak that come and go. Such a strange feeling.
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
mj  It has been since 3/2/16 for me.  Some days I'm ok, some days not.  They have a Candelight Service, Monday nights at 9oclock on this site.  You are welcome to join.  Im not sure where you live but its 9oclock E.S.T. Hope to see you there  Sue
Susan
Quote 0 0
emduke
I'm so sorry about Gus :( I know exactly how you feel. It's been 3 days for me.. I'm still picking Joey's fur off my clothes and, if I smell my hands, I can still faintly smell his scent (which I couldn't even begin to describe if I tried). I was inconsolable for the first 2 days.. Now it's like the grief hits me in waves, triggered by the smallest things, it seems like. I know it's a process, but the support here and journaling about it has helped me. When it gets bad, I look at pictures of him in happier times and imagine what he's doing in a place with no pain & infinite tennis balls.
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
emduke  so very sorry for your loss.  3 days is so new.  I was a wreck for 2 weeks after my Winston passed.  It will be 2 months today.  My grief has lessened, but my guilt has not.  Could you tell us more about yopur loss?  It helps to talk about it.   Sue
Susan
Quote 0 0