IMISSMYBABYDYLAN
I lost my Baby Dylan January 5th this year. He was a very healthy red and white super fluffy and incredibly affectionate Maine Coon kitty. He has been with my Husband and I since we got married in 2003. He had all his baby shots and booster shots, but our vet at the time suggested that he doesn't get some of the outdoor contagious disease shots as he will always be indoors and an only kitty. 2 and a half years ago when he was 12 we had to move and so did my mom. So we all got a 3 bedroom house together. She has two cats. They also never received their outdoor shots since they were always inside. We had all agreed that her and her cats would get the two back rooms for there space and my Dylan would have the main part of the house and my bedroom, as my husband and I pay 75% of the rent. I had insisted that the other cats do not have contact with my cat as I dont how they'd get along, he had been any only cat his whole life and he was 12 when we all moved in together. Also she has one 5 yr. old cat that was very aggressive to her much older 14 yr. old cat and I didnt want that kind of behavior happening toward my baby, but most importantly my moms older cat had been sick on and off with various respiratory and eye infections prior to moving in with me and never could afford the blood tests to find the underlying cause of these infections her vet always just gave her antibiotics. So I was afraid her cat could have something contagious and pass it to my baby. So we agreed no contact between the cats or sharing of toys or litter box, just not to let them in my living room at all. Well she agreed and I thought that was understood. She drinks sometimes and is in her sixites and doesn't always know whats going on after several drinks. So she always promised not to let them into my space or touch his things. But the night before Christmas eve I came home late from Christmas shopping for her gifts and I found her aggressive cat on his cat tree her other cat walking on the table in front of her in my living room and the door that separates her space from mine wide open. Worst of all my cat was real sick and he was fine when I left 5 hours earlier. I dont let him into her space cause he eats anything and her cats dont so she doesnt set the same type of safety precautions in her space. I didnt confront her cause I didnt want to ruin Christmas by fighting. I wish I had confronted her then cause she doesnt remember this and I might have gotten an answer had I asked that night what happened to him. The 2 cats had pooped and peed in his litter box a bunch too. He died 2 wks later, or actually after 3 days of outpatient iv fluids treatment the vet didnt think he was improving and just getting worse and insisted the humane thing to do would be to put him down. I was heart broken cause he was fine before this night of having her cats out I just dont know what happened to him?? Did he get pushed of his 7ft. tall cat tree by the younger cat, he had arthritis so he couldnt move quickly and the vets initial diagnoius was feline pancreatitis. Or did he eat something in her space, as she was taking antibiotics, blood pressure med. and many other daily med that maybe he could have swallowed. Also since walking in on the cats being out and all over his things and pooping in his box I wondered how offten this kinda thing happened when we were gone. The day after he had been put down we finally got the results back to the urine test to find out he had a severe Ecoli infection and they never treated it with antibiotics as I had been requesting all along, I had a feeling that he had a UTI, I begged them everyday of treatment to give him antibiotics for a UTI, but they took every blood test and exrays and ultrasounds and showed no inflammation of his intestines which they said is where a bacteria would start and come from. Also the exrays showed no types of blockages, which would be other causes of UTIs. They said after getting his urine test back that the Ecoli would have came from an outside source, like other cats pooping in his box. They couldnt have know he was battling this bacterial infection as it didnt come from him. And when asked if he had contact with other cats I had told them that hes not supposed to and my mom keeps the cats separated and they dont share boxs. I told them about that night of the cats being out in his space, but they didnt think a one time thing could be cause for illness, just a consistent contact could get him ill if they had anything contagious. My mom swears that she doesnt know how her door got left open or how her cats had been let out and hanging out on his things. She tells me this never happens. I dont know how to feel cause it appears she had been letting them out and pooping in his box often to get an Ecoli infection from them. The older cat of hers turned up real sick and had to go to the vet a week and a half later, still dont know whats wrong woth her cause mom wouldnt pay for testing, just antibiotics again. I feel as though Shes the reason for my cats sudden illness and and having to watch him get sicker and sicker over those two weeks cause she couldnt own up to what she had done and what happened to him. I still live with her, but avoid her cause I feel like she killed my perfectly healthy cat and doesnt even feel sorry about it. This is killing me not knowing what happened to him and I cant get all his treatments and force feedings and all the pain and suffering he went thur out of my head, it just keeping replayi g and stabbing me in the heart everytime I see her. I am a housewife and always have been the whole 15 yrs we have been married. In 2010 I got diagnosed with a large tumor in my sinus which gives me horrible headaches and makes it harder to breathe so I take med for that. Whenever I felt lots of pain Dylan was right by my side purring and loving me and it always made me feel loved and comforted. Now I feel hollow and broken, especially when I get really bad headaches. I dont know how to grieve when I feel like his killer lives in my house and isnt even sorry. How do I move foward. I cry every night. The picture of him walking on the bed is his baby picture.
Quote 0 0
catiebee
I just read your story. Wow. I'm so sorry. Especially sorry for your loss of Dylan, but sorry, too, for all the tough feelings you have toward your mom. It's very understandable that you're deeply hurt that she didn't keep her side of the bargain. I know I'd feel betrayed. I'm sure all the questions in your mind are torturous. Grief is super hard to cope with all by itself, and complicated feelings thrown in make things more difficult to process. 

I hope your broken heart can start to mend. And I hope writing here helps you much. You are in my thoughts.

Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
IMISSMYBABYDYLAN
Thank you catiebee for reading my story and replying with such understanding. Ive shared my story on other cat sites and I get condolences for my loss of Dylan, but get the feeling no one reads my long winded story. I dont mean for it to be so long but Im just struggling terribliy with him being gone as a result of something my mother did and look at his pictures right before he got sick and he looks healthy and fine. She writes it off as he was old and sick and it was his time, not the case, its hard to grieve and heal with her still living and her cats still living in my house. Also my husband needed a kitty to snuggle about 2 weeks after we lost Dylan and we got another kitty. The problem is my momthers older cat is sick in some way we dont know cause she wouldnt pay to have the bloodwork done. So I dont want my new cat getting sick. She insists on petting him whenever she sees him, and I begged her to wash her hands first. She thinks Im silly theres nothing wrong with her cat thats contagious and doesnt want to dry out her hands as she always washs them a bunch already. So in fear of my new kitty getting sick I live in my tiny bedroom with my cat till she goes to bed then I let him play in my living room and rest of the house her cats arent in. But we pay 75% of the rent. This is adding extra frustration to to griving process. Anyone whos reading this thank you I feel like no one will listin to me cause its to complicated.
Quote 0 0