escottybeme
I lost my precious Sansa 1 month ago.  She was 2 1/2 years old, my vet finally talked me into having her fixed, because he said it would be best for her in the long run.  She was a completely healthy, happy, energetic and loving little girl.  I had mixed feelings the night before, I had a bad feeling and almost backed out of the surgery.  I wish I had listened to my gut and I wouldn't be without her now.  I dropped her off that morning, had extra blood work done to make sure she'd be okay for surgery.  The blood test came back good, I was told to call after 2:00 to find out how she was doing.  I called, the surgery   went well and was told she was recovering.  I asked if I could call back a little later to check in again, I was told yes and hung up the phone. A little over an hour later I get a call, it's the Vet and I could tell by his voice that something was wrong.  He said Sansa's heart rate had slowed down, she started passing blood, stopped breathing and they couldn't save her.  I was gutted, in shock and not sure what to feel.  The Vet paid to have an autopsy done and also have her cremated for me.  He said he didn't know what happened and wanted to find out.  I got the call last week that the results were in and so were her Ashes.  Sansa died from internal bleeding, one of the sutures placed inside came loose after she was closed up and by the time they noticed something was wrong, it was too late.  I know he didn't do this on purpose, he feels horrible about it and said he still didn't understand how it happened.  I'm not mad at him, I'm mad at myself.  I feel so much guilt, because I didn't follow my gut.  I feel I let Sansa down, that I didn't protect her and do what I felt in my heart.  It's still a struggle, I miss her terribly and I still can't believe she's gone.20190417_190916.jpg
Quote 0 0
CobbersMom
I'm so sorry - there was nothing about what happened that you should feel any guilt about. You trusted a medical professional, and everything should have gone smoothly. It was a tragic accident, not a lack of protecting her on your part. I know none of this will ease the pain, but please don't beat yourself up. 
Quote 0 0
escottybeme
Thank you for saying that, it's been a rough couple weeks and I just wish I could do that day again and make a different decision.  Sansa was everything to me and I'm lost without her.  
Quote 0 0
P_Mom
I'm so very sorry for sweet Sansa's sudden passing.  I can only imagine the difficulty in processing what happened so suddenly and so young.  As mentioned above, you have absolutely nothing to feel guilty for, nor have you done anything wrong.  This was a very routine procedure and we do place our faith in our Doctors - it's all we can do.  If I followed my gut each time, I'd never take my pups to Vet as it always seems such a nerve wracking experience.  

Please be gentle with yourself - it's evident Sansa was so well loved and cared for by her Mommy.  💖💖 I know that doesn't help considering this tremendous and unfair loss, but you also sound like a forgiving and understanding person for what's happened - exactly what dogs teach us. ❤

Again, so very sorry for this sad and unexpected loss. 

Sending hugs and comfort you way,
Jennifer
Jennifer
Quote 0 0
CobbersMom
escottybeme wrote:
Thank you for saying that, it's been a rough couple weeks and I just wish I could do that day again and make a different decision.  Sansa was everything to me and I'm lost without her.  
I have no doubt it's been a very rough time, and I have played the "I wish I could go back and..." scenario so many times in my head. Just know that Sansa loved you and knew with total dog conviction that you loved her.
Quote 1 0
Runningman66

My heart goes out to you especially losing her at such a young age.I’m not so sure I’d be so forgiving if it was me and what makes it worse is that she had most of her life ahead of her with you and I can only imagine what you are going though.As stated you should feel no guilt as you did what your heart told you only for a cruel twist of fate to befall her.Sending you love and prayers🙏🏻

Runningman

Quote 0 0